>> This is from a brewer on the SABCO board. He stated recently that he is very pleased with the results, having gone through two kegs, but will be cutting the the soured wort to 0.5 quarts per 5 gallons. So if this is your thing, rot on... <<
I brewed this Guinness attempt on April 5, 2008 (the first brew on my new Brew Magic):
12 lbs 2 row (Marris Otter)
3 lbs flaked Barley
1 lb flaked oats
1/5 lbs Munton Roasted Barley
2 ounces EKG (5% Alpha) @ 60 mins
1.5 ounces Williamette (5% Alpha) @ 60 mins
White labs Irish Stout (004) (1 quart starter)
Mashed at 150 for 75 mins.
Took about 2 quarts of wort from the mash and let it sit with some crushed grains on top of my basement fridge while the beer fermented.
Today (4/16/08), I kegged from the Primary. I took the completely disgusting wort from the top of the fridge, strained off the mold and grain, and boiled it for 15 minutes. I added about 1 quart of this soured wort to each 5 gallon keg (with some also added to a tester soda bottle).
I used the carbonator to carbonate the tester soda bottle and tasted it. I also had my neighbor (a total Guinness freak) taste the sample. He really could not believe how much it was a dead ringer for the real thing. My stout tap and nitrogen regulator arrived yesterday. Tomorrow, I pick up my Nitrogen Canister with the Nitrogen/CO2 mix from the welding shop. I will carbonate lightly with CO2 and then hook up the gas and let it sit for a week. I will let you know if the pour replicates the Guinness pour at the pub! I love to brew-- especially when things turn out the way they are supposed to!